Architecture of UQT
The architecture of UQT is shown below. This has some significant differences to that of a desktop query tool:
- UQT is installed at a single place - on a Web Server.
- database software and connections only need to be set up and configured at one place - on the UQT Server
- no software needs to be present on the end-user PC except a web browser
- a variety of end-user devices can be used
- administrators have complete control over the databases a user has access to
- administrators have a log of which users are using UQT
UQT is a more complex product to install and configure. It is not aimed at the individual, but at large companies who have many users that require occasional access to the company databases.
It is expected that power users will still use a desktop query tool such as Advanced Query Tool.